Wednesday 18 September 2013

Edgar Allen Poe Sampler

Ahhh, I remember when I was a one project lady...and now it appears I've become a three-timer! There's just so many lovely stitches how can I possibly limit myself to just one?

I've decided to make a start on the Edgar Allen Poe Sample featured in the Just Cross Stitch Halloween Special 2013. I've also decided to be a little adventurous and make a few changes *eek* As much as the original design caught my eye, I couldn't help feeling that it might look even more awesome if the sky was blue-toned, rather than orange. I think the theme would suit blue a lot more and I kept getting drawn to the word 'midnight'... So, I turned to the internet for some help as I've never substituted colours like this before so I didn't know where to start! A few sites mentioned things such as tones and colour families...so I pulled up a picture of a DMC colour chart and located the colour family that the oranges were in and found the corresponding tones in a blue colour family...they looked all wrong! D: I used this theory anyway and found a really nice set of colours in the grey family. Perfect! Luckily I had most of the colours I needed so I only needed to order the fabric, the brown thread for the tree and some new needles. I felt so smart! *idiot*

Until last Sunday!!! *dramatic music*

My supplies actually came earlier in the week but I'd had a pretty nasty cold so I'd been going straight to bed when I got home from work. Sunday was the first day that I'd felt up to much of anything, so I thought I'd kit everything up for this project. As I was making my thread organiser I knew something wasn't right... the replacement colours I had chosen were far too light... they looked more like a cloudy day than a nice clear night ;___; Back to the colour chart. This time I just looked for a set of blues that I liked...I think I've come up with a nice set :)


I'm using the same fabric as in the magazine - 32 count natural linen from Wichelt. I've never used this brand before. The fabric is a lot stiffer than Zweigart, but it doesn't seem to fray as much and it smells really nice too ^^

~*~*~*~*~*~

I've actually made a start on this since I drafted this post ^^


The fabric is really a dream to stitch on *__* I can't think of any other way to describe it other than 'it holds itself well' :/

After I'd taken this photo this morning I started adding some of the sky. So far, it's looking good :)



12 comments:

  1. Lovely start! Can't wait to see your progress with the little modifications :) Hope you're feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm feeling great now ^^ I've done most of the sky now and I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

      Delete
  2. A lovely new start and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought that magazine just so that I could stitch that sampler. but now I think I will wait and see how yours turn out, because a blue background sounds nicer. :) (If you don't mind me stealing your idea?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's a good chart isn't it? I've done most of the sky now - I'm going to do an update post soon so you'll be able to see how it's turned out :) Can you see the substitutions okay on the top photo? They are all DMC codes ^^

      Delete
    2. Yes I can see the codes thank you^^ and with blue background it is less a halloween stitch and more an dark season stitch;)

      Delete
  4. This is so funny, because after you showed the project in the magazine I went to find copy at the local bookstore and after much staring and squinting decided that there was something I didn't like about it so I didn't bother to buy. And I think it was the sky LOL!!! A blue sky is DEFINITELY better, love the midnight theme, really fits the poem :) I make myself thread organizers like that too!

    Re: Colour Substituting - I do it all the time, but find - like you experienced - it's two steps: I look up colours on the chart that I think will work, and then actually pull the floss, and usually have to make adjustments. This is especially true if you're working from a digital chart because the colours depend on your monitor then. So I actually think you did incredibly well, congrats on your 1st big substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love at the start of a project getting everything all organised. I even have a special pen that is used only for thread organisers *lol*

    Thanks ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I love your finished piece and really want to do it. Where would I find the magazine and the chart!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I hope you've enjoyed your stay ^^ I tend to reply to comments by email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will reply to your comment here :) Have a nice day <3